Using our glass chemistry knowledge combined with our practical experience with glass melting, we help you optimizing your glass production process and improving your glass quality.
E.g. we assist container and float glass manufacturers in colour change over optimisation on their melting furnace,
we help you improving your glass (melt) characteristics (e.g. colour, chemical durability, viscosity,...) or we develop your new glass product (e.g. boron free, lead free, ...).
Glass colour changes are real challenges, requiring a maximum of experience and expertise in both furnace operation & control and glass chemistry & physics.
During a colour change, two different glasses, often not compatible (e.g. different redox states) are mixed in your melting furnace.
There is a high risk that the combination of a very high pull (needed for a fast colour change) and changing glass characteristics will cause fundamental changes in furnace glass melt flow and melting reactions,
resulting in a very strong glass quality degradation, as numerous defects like cords, seeds and blisters will be generated. Once blocked in this situation,
it will be extremely difficult and frustratingly time consuming, taking a few days to several weeks, to regain your high quality glass production.
As we performed dozens of complex colour changes in the past, we developed detailed colour change procedures based upon objectives of optimising the transition time and minimising your production losses.
We offer you our high value expertise and extra experiences at a cost that is completely negligible compared to the financial losses that can be caused by a failed colour change.
- Development of new batches for various glass types e.g. soda-lime glass, borosilicate glass, crystal, fibre glass, ....
- Batch formula optimisation and glass chemistry assistance and troubleshooting.
- Batch cost optimisation; using in-house developed software we determine your batch formula for a given a target chemical composition at the lowest batch cost per tonne molten glass.
- Batch formula and glass chemistry modifications to optimise glass melt characteristics and/or glass quality characteristics.
- e.g. optimisation of density, viscosity, working range, chemical durability, thermal shock resistance, liquidus temperature, light transmission, colour, brightness, ....
- Batch modifications to improve the glass melting and/or fining process;
- e.g. using comparative simultaneous lab melting tests of two different batches with different raw materials or components.
- Lab melting studies to study the melting process, intermediate crystalline phases and the forming process of a vitreous phase e.g. to determine the glass melting benefits of specific raw materials or batch components.
- On-site assistance for optimisation of your colour change processes using our proven strategy and procedures for batch modification and furnace control.
- Advice and help for glass productions according CIE and CIE-Lab colour specifications;
- e.g. elaboration of batches for flint, amber, green, antique green, olive green, UVAG, dead leaf, royal blue, ...according given colour definitions and specifications for dominant wavelength, spectral purity and brightness.
- Feasibility studies and development of unique non-standard colours e.g. grey, purple, greenish blue, ....
- Lab-melting tests for new glass colour development and colour measurements according CIE or CIE-Lab colour parameters.
- Flint glass colour quality improvement, batches for extra clear flint; physical and chemical decolourisation optimisations.
- Elaboration of high cullet batches e.g. for coloured container glass or for glass wool or glass technology assistance introducing cullet in specific glass production runs e.g. float glass, tableware, fibre glass, ....
- Batch formula and glass chemistry troubleshooting.
We welcome your questions & inquiries...
We invite you to explore our website...